Commercial & Medical
Located inside the AMR-designed 1424 Soma building in downtown Little Rock, AMR's open office contains eleven workstations, conference room, private conference "Zoom Room," kitchen, workshop, and "ArchiTots" kids' area for the occasional little visitor. This ground floor storefront not only offers large expanses of glass to bring in plenty of natural light, and a strong connection to the street, but also provides an opportunity to display our weekly sketches and ping pong skills with our convertible kitchen conference table.
This infill project at 1424 Main St. in the burgeoning SOMA (“Southside Main Street”) district blends design concepts of today with more traditional sensibilities suited for its historic neighborhood. South of the Interstate-630 divide, SOMA is a large, mostly residential neighborhood filled with historic properties. It’s an eclectic mix of buildings from a wide range of time periods dating back to early 1900s Victorian architecture. Being directly on Main Street, the commercial strip in the district, the project is a hybrid of small scale commercial and residential. 1424 Soma is one of only a few new-construction projects in the district in recent years, and is unique in its more contemporary design. The 2-story building houses 16 apartments, 14 of which comprise the entire upper level, while the majority of the ground floor is dedicated to five commercial spaces. In order to satisfy key design standards outlined by the Design Overlay Commission, factors such as height, scale, and proportion had to be considered for their appropriateness. Traditional elements of rhythm and symmetry with familiar components such as columns, bay windows, and retail storefronts were used, but with an updated aesthetic. The introduction of a central courtyard on the second level not only provides an amenity for the tenants, but also further breaks down the scale of the building to a more appropriate level at the sidewalk. A balance of brick and metal cladding nods to the more typical building materials of the neighborhood, while providing a point interest and departure.
Single story business occupancy building located in Searcy, AR on Beebe Capps Expressway. Work consists of a structural steel frame building with a masonry veneer and metal panel exterior claddings over metal studs with a low-sloped multi-ply SBS Modified Bitument membrane roof system including a granular cap sheet. The façade consists of storefront windows with one inch insulating glazing, metal panels and natural veneer.
This project requires the parking deck stay operational during construction due to revenue generated from leased parking. The deck currently only has three small retail bays at the East end that under serve the demand. Several retailer and restaurants approached the owner and developer about potentially adding lease space to the South elevation of the first floor due to the pedestrian counts. The developer is also property manager who receives weekly calls trying to locate affordable apartment units in the River Market District. The onus of this project is to re-use the existing parking deck in a way that is minimally invasive, keeping the parking counts high while gaining valuable retail and dining space on the first floor and providing compact affordable apartments on the upper floors. The high level of activity on 3rd Street, including foot traffic, parade routes, human scale foosball, and dodge ball tournaments, and street fairs, means this project has very small windows where the street will be allowed to close during construction. The use of pre-fab living units attached to exposed metal frames will drastically reduce the construction time. The abundance of shipping containers at the Little Rock Port Authority and the capability of our local manufactured home industry will allow for these pre-fab units to be more cost effective.
AMR Architects, in collaboration with Design Group of Columbus, OH, leads the design team to transform the outdated historic Wilson Hall building into a modern, state of the art medical school. Along with the many complex program requirements of a medical school building, the program also requires intense IT and AV coordination to facilitate the two way learning environment necessary for the two institution partnership. This new innovative model extends beyond the institutions by also collaborating with the local health care community. NYIT is a private, non-profit university and is bringing its medical school program (NYITCOM) to the campus of a public university (A-State) to meet the challenge of creating more physicians where they are needed.
Work consists of a single story building with synthetic stucco wood framing the building and a low-sloped single-ply TPO membrane roof system. The façade consists of storefront windows with one inch insulating glazing.
Large format white porcelain tiles and new broadloom carpet takes place of the previous brown brick floor pavers of the 70s. The color palette was updated to make for a more modern feel while keeping with corporate design trends. Near the entrance at Capitol Avenue sits a new modernized guard’s desk that faces an enlarged TV enclosure wall anchoring a seating group of contemporary lounge furniture. Down from the entrance sits the focal feature of the renovation – a new modern stair trimmed in stainless steel and glass. The same white tile continues down the stair, over a new platform with recessed planter bed and onto the first floor. New furniture adds life to the first floor lobby that was previously an empty space. Tenants and visitors can sit and work, charge their devices, or relax and eat lunch. A wall of enlarged historic downtown Little Rock photographs adds interest for the passers by, and some even tell the story of the history on the building's site.
The Mann Lofts occupy what was once the original, three-story Blass Department Store that was built in 1871. Renovation of the building along with a seven-story addition and parking deck completes a three-part, half-block re-development project located along historic Main Street in downtown Little Rock. The building has been converted into 19 luxury apartments with an outdoor courtyard for residents to gather and socialize with one another. Located at the ground level are various street-facing retail spaces. The re-development of the Main Street area was made possible due to New Market Tax Credits awarded by the Heartland Renaissance Fund of Little Rock. Once an abandoned, run-down area, the revitalization of Main Street continues revival with the Mann Lofts being a catalyst for the growth.
Formerly a surface parking lot, the Arcade Building transforms a quarter block into a pedestrian friendly and vibrant destination. The design compliments the character of the district using a brick pattern to mimic the adjacent historic structures. Modern additions to the district are echoed with alucabond panels curving along the primary corner. Street sides are lined with small retail bays anchored by the restaurant that integrates outdoor seating on both corners adding liveliness to the streetscape. The alleyways were transformed into lit, welcoming walkways to act as portals for visitors to the multi-use theater and street vendors for the farmers market. The second floor houses the balcony of the theater, an events room operated by the public library and the archival offices for the neighboring historical collections institute. These offices required secure access to the institute without exiting the building, so a Kalwall wrapped sky bridge links the two building adding to the alley lighting at night with its lantern-like glow. The third floor is home to an insurance firm, classroom space for a graduate school, and the offices of AMR Architects, Inc.
Located inside the Arcade Building the AMR Office contains six offices with large widows on looking River Market Ave. and glass walls to the interior office with sliding wood doors providing privacy while keeping an open concept to the space. A conference room with dry erase walls for ease of conveying ideas to a group, and a large touch screen computer, strategic lighting for non-direct overhead lighting and direct wall lighting. The remaining interior is open creating a movable working space with multiple desks set as needed. Large windows provide natural light and non-direct lighting creates a soft environment throughout. The reception area, copier and kitchen area blend into a place of convenience. The lobby is open, warm in color, and inviting with seating and bookcase.
Mann on Main occupies what was once the original seven-story Blass Department Store that was built in 1906. The renovation of the annex building and construction of the parking deck, atop the previous surface lot, completes a three-part re-development project along historic Main Street in downtown Little Rock. The seven-story building, was designed by architect George Mann and is one of the city's most architecturally significant structures and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The re-development for the project was made possible due to New Market Tax Credits awarded by the Heartland Renaissance Fund of Little Rock. Major offices for the State of Arkansas are housed in the building, making them the exclusive tenant and user within Mann on Main. The property also houses state agencies such as the University of Arkansas Partners for Inclusive Communities, Office of Child Support Enforcement, Arkansas Crime Information Center and the Arkansas State Board of Pharmacy. The ground floor offers a large retail component providing additional services and amenities to residents in the community.
The Arkansas Economic Development Commission brought AMR on board to help complete the interiors for their new home in a renovated building in downtown Little Rock. They requested a departure from the typical muted palette of state offices and wanted a sophisticated first impression for their visitors. In addition to the lobby spaces, AMR also selected furnishings and accessories for their executive offices, conference spaces and outdoor gathering spaces.
Standing seven stories high, this downtown mixed-use building consists of condos, office space, and restaurant. Completed in 2002, it is was one of the first mixed-use buildings with upscale condos in Little Rock’s River Market District. On-site amenities include gated parking, security, and a rooftop viewing deck.